The Director of the Federal Budgetary Establishment “Saint-Petersburg Forestry Research Institute” read through the accomplishments of the institute for the period of 2010 to 2014
At the next plenary session of the Federal Forestry Agency, Director I.A. Vasilev presented the results of Institute’s activities over the past few years.
The main activities of the Federal Budgetary Establishment “Saint-Petersburg Forestry Research Institute” are:
- The development of new chemical compounds for fighting forest fires;
- The development of technological regulations for application of herbicides that can be used when planting seedlings within a closed root system;
- The development of forest management and forest land reclamation;
- The development of scientifically based methodologies, as well as financial and economic feasibility studies for the intensified use and reproduction of forests;
- Development of scenarios for the adaption of a leading system for forest management of the Russian Federation in connection with global climate change;
- Research in the field of forest genetics and selective breeding;
- Design of equipment and facilities for the purposes of forestry management with the intent of phasing out imports;
- Providing maintenance for the remote information monitoring units of the Federal Forestry Agency.
More than 80 agreements with 10 regions of the Russian Federation – ranging from the Moscow region to the Yamal-Nenets Autonomous District - for the completion of projects attest to the demand for the institute’s developments. In recent years, the institute’s revenues have increased substantially, of which 56.6% came from extra-budgetary funds. In 2014, the economic activity plan has been executed at 102%.
The number of young scientists has increased (from up to 22 to 27 people), in tandem with an observed trend toward "rejuvenation" of staff personnel, that is a reduction in the average age of employees - from 52 to 47 years old during the last 4 years.
Regarding the plans of the Institute – there will be seen further development of applied research, and their active implementation at the regional level, the strengthening and effective development of human resources, including through the implementation of social programs, the continuation of the modernization of the institute’s infrastructure, as well as increased integration into the international scientific community.