Main activity of the Council is full support of professional growth, enhancing Research and Development, addressing professional and social problems of young scientists of the Federal Forestry Agency (FFA). The mission is to form a dynamic research and innovative environment in FFA based on self-organization and initiative of young scientists. The objective is to support professional growth and activity of young scientists and consolidate their efforts to solve the most important research tasks in the forestry of the Russian Federation. Currentlythere are 132 member of the Council of Young Scientists from the organizations led by FFA.
1. Council of Young Scientists of the Federal Forestry Agency (hereinafter – Council) is a standing advisory collegial body established at the Federal Forestry Agency (hereinafter – FFA) in order to create conditions for the development of research activities, promoting the professional growth of young scientists.
2. Decisions of the Board are advisory. In order to implement these decisions special orders and instructions may be issued byFFA.
3. The Board can be created and dissolved by an order of the head of FFA.
4. The activities of the Council are guided by the Constitution of the Russian Federation, federal laws, decrees and orders of the President of the Russian Federation, resolutions and orders of the Government of the Russian Federation, Regulations of the Federal Forestry Agency, approved by the Government of the Russian Federation in September 23, 2010 № 736, orders and directives ofFFA, as well as by this Statement.
5. The main objectives of the Council are:
- participation of young scientists in main and applied research in the vital for FFA fields of forestry;
- development and presentationto FFAthe projects and solutions in key areas of scientific activity of young scientists;
- supportof theprocess of implementing the results of scientific work of young researchers in the forestry industry;
- establishment, maintenance and development of the relationships between young scientists of FFA and scientific communities, research centers, universities, leading researchers and companies in the field of forestry;
- involvement of young scientists in international cooperation in regards to the activities of FFA in the fields of science and education;
- providing information for young scientists about ongoing scientific conferences, seminars, competitions and other activities of scientific and educational content;
- attraction of young researchers to the organization and conduction of scientific conferences, seminars and round tables;
- providing information on the funds that financially support young scientists.
The Board of the Council
6. Council members may be graduate students, job seekers, doctoral students, engineers, technicians and researchers of the subordinate institutions and organizations of FFA (Candidates or Doctors of the Science performing R & D) at the age up to 35, in the case of a Doctoral Degree – up to 40 years. The Board consists of the Chairman of the Board and Council members (including the Vice-President and Secretary).
7. The Chairman manages the Board and shall be elected for a term of one year. Chairman of the Board after the election is introduced into the Scientific and Technical Council of FFA. The Chairman may be elected more than once, without limitation, until he or she reaches 35 years (in the case of a Doctoral Degree – 40 years).
8. Chairman of the Board proposes the candidates for the positions of Deputy Chairman and Secretary of the Board that can be further approved at a meeting of the Council.
9. The competence of the Chairman of the Board includes:
- planning Council’s work for a year;
- organizing meetings, conferences and seminars;
- making conclusions for the year;
- resolve operational issues in the activity of the Council.
Rights and obligations of the members of the Board
10. Members of the Board have the right to:
- suggestthe discussion of important issues for the efficient conduct of scientific research in the field of activity of FFA;
- participate in fundamental and applied research on issues relevant to forestry issuestogether with subordinate scientific organizations of FFA;
- support the use of the results of the young scientists’researches in educational, scientific and economic activities in the forestry industry;
- promote the establishment, maintenance and development of relations between young scientists of FFA and research centers, universities, leading scholars and companies of the forest industry;
- promote the international cooperation of young scientists in the field of science and education in regards to current activities of FFA;
- provide information for young scientists about ongoing scientific conferences, seminars, competitions and other activities of scientific and educational contentand actively participate in these activities;
- make suggestions for improving the work of the Council;
- report once a year at the scientific and technical council of FFA;
- maintain the webpage of the Council on the website of FFA and present there the information about its activities.
11. Member of the Board shall:
- to provide materials for the meeting in time and following the described rules;
- implement the decisions made at the meeting.
The organization of the work of the Council
12. The draft work plan of the Council is formed on the basis of proposals of the Secretary of the Council, heads of structural subdivisions of FFA, scientific advice and management of subordinate research organizations of FFA.
13. The draft work plan is reviewed at a meeting of the Council, approved by the Chairman of the Board, agreed with the leadership of FFA and notified by the Secretary to the Board members.
14. Proposals for the review at a meeting of the Council of matters not covered in the plan of work of the Council shall be made to the Chairman of the Board.
15. Decision to change the timing of the review or deletion from the plan of the Council of the planned questions aresubmitted by the Council by the Chairman of the Board.
16. The basic form of the Council are meetings. Meetings are directed by the presiding officer – Chairman of the Board, and in his absence – Deputy Chairman of the Board. Council meetings are held at least once per quarter in accordance with the approved plan of the Council. Council meetings can be held in an expanded format determined by the Chairman of the Board. Meeting of the Board shall be considered as competent if attended by at least by half of its members.
The procedure of preparation for the meetings of the Council
17. The draft agenda for the next meeting of the Council with an indication of the speakers and members of the Council responsible for the preparation of the issue is made by the Secretary based on the work plan of the Council and submitted for approval by the Chairman of the Board.
18. Member of the Board, or the person responsible for the preparation of the issue, provides the following materials for the Council:
- a brief overview of the subject under discussion;
- draft decision of the Board (not more than 3 pages);
- list of people invited to the meeting of the Council;
- additional materials(if necessary).
The Secretary of the Board controls the submission of the materials in time.
19. Schedule of the particular meeting of the Council is determined at a meeting of members of the Council based on proposal of the presiding officer. Speaking time shall not exceed: report – up to 15 minutes, co-report – up to 10 minutes, the participants – up to 7 minutes, short informationnotes – up to 3 minutes.
Decision making procedure of the Council
20. Council decisions are taken by simple majority vote of the members present.
21. The results of discussions at the Council meeting are written in the protocol. The protocol is made by the Secretary, signed by the person presiding at the meeting, approved by the Chairman of the Board.
22. Record keeping of the Council is done by the Secretary.
Work in 2011-2012
- Scientific Conference “Young Scientists for the Forestry” was held in 26-27 July 2011. The conference brought together young scientists from subordinate organizations of FFA, research organizations, universities and other agencies. The conference was attended by representatives of the central office of FFA, management of Pushkin, Moscow Region, Russian Society of Foresters, and mass media.
- Within the framework of the II International Scientific Conference “Innovation and technology in forestry,” an enlarged meeting of the Council of Young Scientists of FFA was held – “Young scientists and innovative development of forestry.”
Young scientists reported their researches and discussed the plans of the Council for the year.
Work in 2013-2014
- Young scientists participated in the performance of works under the State order (4 young scientists were the managers of 13 topics of the State order);
- Research and practice conference II "Krona 2014" for masters, postgraduates and young scientists was held;
- A meeting with the Professor and students of the University of Eastern Finland was organized;
- The enlarged session of the Young Scientists Board of Rosleshoz under IV International Research and Practice Conference "Innovations and technologies in forestry" took place;
- Young scientists took part in the annual competition between the scientific and experimental research projects of Rosleshoz, the projects of 3 young scientists of the Institute won prize-winning places, and the authors have received material rewards);
- Corporate author of young scientists of the Institute took part in the competition of the best innovative projects in sphere of science and higher vocational education of Saint Petersburg. The presented project "Automated line for packing and sorting of seedlings "SPbNIILH-LUS-01" was recognized the winner in the nomination "Best innovative product" in the focus area "Environmental management";
- Two persons entered the Institute Postgraduate on the research spheres "Forestry, silviculture, forest management and forest taxation" and "Forest amelioration, protective afforestation and settlements greening, forest fires and firefighting; "
- Leading scientists of the Institute gave lectures for young scientists on topics: pirology, genetics, philosophy and history of science, history of pilot facilities of the Institute;
- Young scientists of the Institute successfully completed a one-year English course (Beginner and Intermediate levels).
Work in 2015
- Young scientists of SPbNIILH participated in the conference "Researches - future of the timber complex" (Republic of Tatarstan, 6-8 October, 2015). From Federal State-Funded Institution "SPbNIILH" 4 young scientists made a report.
- Interaction with the Young Scientists Board of Voronezh State Forest Engineering University was built. As a result of joint work, the two applications were filed for the current competitions and grants.
- Young scientists of SPbNIILH prepared and applied for participation in the competition for the right to receive grants of St Petersburg in the field of scientific and scientific and technological activity. Project topic - modeling and organization of planting material cultivation with root-balled tree system process.
- SPbNIILH young scientists took part in the competition of scientific and experimental research projects of graduate students, young scientists of research Institutes and organizations, administered by Rosleshoz, and won prizes in the following categories:
- "Forest registry, forest management and forest inventory"- 1st place (Mikhailov P.V., Andreev A.Y.) for work "Assessment of forest fuel materials reserve during the National Forest Inventory",
- "Reforestation and afforestation" - 3rd place (Vasiliev O.I., Kornylyeva Y.A.) for the work "Modeling and optimization of the processes for planting material with root-balled tree system production".